Monday, January 03, 2005

A quote from the Joel on Software site The very idea that you can "love your job" is a modern concept. I had always thought that everyone had the right to enjoy their jobs! Maybe that is naive. The article is advice for college CS students, and tells then to learn to write clearly (great advice), learn microeconomics and to code ... lots

Another resolution I should have written up on the 1st Jan have for everyone is that we should all delete at least 10 items of e-mail a day in order to clear up. I know the idea with GMail is that we start to keep everything and just search for the mails we want. But storing too much data is bad. At my last company we had a data retention policy and were only meant to keep e-mail for at most a year, and after that archive things we might still need. I decided not to store any sent mail and started cc'ing mail to myself where I wanted to see a copy. I also had rules that moved mail into a "pending deletion" folder after it was a month old. Anything that was needed would be moved back and then kept.

I want the e-mail client to intelligently sort things into folders and let me set policies on different folders. Microsoft Outlook 2003 does a suprisingly good job but it is not perfect. I think bayesian techniques would be very powerful here. Maybe I should investigate btail and The CRM114 Discriminator - The Controllable Regex Mutilator

Also the Joel on Software article mentions a social networking site called Thefacebook. This time the idea is to put names to faces. Currently for US university consumption but I think this is a great idea. The face gallery is something that every company needs. I am always really bad at remembering names so this gets my support.

No comments: